The checklist below sets out the documents required in the majority of cases. By closely following it and sending us the required documents early you can really save time and effort.
Digitally scanned/photographs of documents sent by email are acceptable to get going. Original hard copies of nos. 1 3, 7, 8, 10 and 11 will need to follow.
- Authority to Thomas Barry & Co take up Title Deeds from Financial Institution. We will send you this. The Authority needs to be returned to us signed with any missing details (such as your mortgage account number) filled in so we can access your title documents. Until we get and review your title documents the legal process cannot start.
- Local Property Tax (LPT) – The “Property History Details” page (specifically this page and not any other page from the website) is required for the sale. For instructions on how to get this page online, go to the end of this page. If you do not currently have a property id and need to request one, go to https://lpt.revenue.ie/lpt-web/views/login.html?execution=e1s1 and enter your PPSN at the bottom of the page.
- For properties owned between 2009 – 2013, an NPPR (Non Principal Private Residence) certificate of discharge OR exemption is To obtain yours, email your local authority (FAO Finance Department) with your NPPR Account Reference Code and property address to request a cert. If you don’t know your Account Reference code, go to http:// https://www.nppr.ie/Login.aspx and click on “Lost Account Ref” and follow the instructions on the site.
- A copy of your State Marriage/Civil Partnership Certificate/Divorce Decree/Death Certificate (as applicable). If you need to apply for one, go to: https://www2.hse.ie/services/births-deaths-and-marriages/get-certificates/get-an-irish-marriage-certificate-online.html
- BER certificate and advisory report for the property. It is compulsory (with some limited exceptions) to supply a BER Certificate and Report when selling a home. See https://www.seai.ie/home-energy/building-energy-rating-ber/
- Planning documentation. Usually one of the following is required:
- No Developments since property acquired – declaration to be signed by you. If applicable Thomas Barry & Co will draft the declaration.
- Development exempt from planning e.g., small back extension/attic conversion – Declaration from a Professional (Engineer/Architect) confirming that development is exempt from planning and in conformity with building regulation.
- Development that required Planning Permission – Copy of Planning Permission and a Professional’s Certificate of Compliance with Planning Permission and Building Regulations. If these cannot be supplied an alternative may be to get a Certificate from a Professional setting out the position e.g. that although planning permission was required it was not obtained and by virtue of the fact the development is in situ in excess of X years the local authority is precluded from issuing enforcement proceedings.
- ‘Know Your Client’ identification documentation.
- Terms of engagement signed. We will send you this. Please read, sign and return to us.
- If your property is part of a larger complex and has a Property Management Company overseeing it, please forward the name, address, phone no and email of same.
- If a Service Charge is paid on the property, please send an up to date Service Charge receipt
- Land Registry Compliant map (if applicable). Your property title is registered either in the Registry of Deeds or in the Land Registry. Where it is registered in the Registry of Deeds, as vendor you will be obliged to furnish a Land Registry Compliant Map. Once we see the title documents we will be able to tell if you need a Land Registry Compliant map.
- Location map with property in sale outlined in red to enable application be made for letter from local authority confirming roads and services are in charge. This is just a general map – http://maps.google.ie or other service can be used to obtain.
Guide to printing the correct Local Property Tax “Property History Details” Page
Visit the Local Property Tax section of the Revenue website here https://lpt.revenue.ie/lpt-web/views/login.html?execution=e1s1. It will take you to the following screen.
Log in using your PPSN, Property ID and Pin.
Once logged in you will come to the following page. Click the View Payment History page in the top right-hand corner.
Right click and print this page in landscape format. It must be this exact page. Do not download as a PDF.